Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride IP 5 mg
A selective, long-acting H1 receptor antagonist antihistamine. Levocetirizine is an enantiomer (R) of cetirizine. It is absorbed after oral administration with peak blood levels reached 0-9 hours.
- An allergic condition in adults like seasonal allergic rhinitis and perennial allergic rhinitis
- Chronic idiopathic urticaria
- Ocular symptoms like redness, lacrimation and itching
- Acute allergic reactions due to drugs, food and insect bites
- Children, as safety and efficacy have not been suggested to take it.
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Patient receiving dialysis or severe renal impairment
Dosage and Directions for use:
Levocetirizine Tablets must be taken orally, swallowed with liquid. It may be taken with or without food.
Adults and children above 6 years: 5 mg single intake daily
Children below 6 years: No adjusted dose
- Mild drowsiness
- G.I. disturbances
- Dry mouth
- Concurrent use with alcohol or other CNS depressant may cause a reduction in alertness and impairment of performance.
- The occurrence of somnolence, fatigue and asthenia has been reported in some patients under therapy with levocetirizine.